Markets in Review: Q3 2018
Compare your investment results to Q3 2018 benchmarks for stocks, bonds and alternative investments.
Our latest quarterly synopsis of the financial market environment offers an in-depth look at the recent performance of asset classes, along with valuable insights for investors.
Highlights of Q3 financial market performance include:
- World equity markets rose amid solid economic and earnings data, which outweighed global policy uncertainty among investors.
- U.S. equity gained, as a healthy economy and robust earnings boosted stocks despite global trade concerns.
- International equity posted a positive return due to stronger economic news and the European Central Bank’s statement that it would not hike interest rates until at least the summer of 2019.
- Emerging market equity declined again in Q3, as U.S. dollar strength, slowing growth in China and nervousness about the collapse of the Turkish lira weighed on returns.
- U.S. fixed income was flat for the quarter. Short-term interest rates rose again in Q3, though longer-term yields increased as well.
- Non-U.S. fixed income was down as Italian bonds slid.
- Hedge funds were slightly positive. Multi-strategy and macro funds were among the best performers year-to-date.